Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet
As told by shoujo artists.

November 11, 2010

Kate Daniels (Ilona Andrews)

I've started reading the Kate Daniels series (Magic Bites, etc.) by Ilona Andrews and am now firmly ensconced in the third book Magic Strikes. This has quickly developed into an obsession. Finally: a strong female character who isn't fan service or pure romance heroine. Kate is a hard ass who can be a real bitch with a heart of gold. She's perfect, and damn entertaining.

I've always been a bit iffy on the urban fantasy genre because it always seemed so cheesy to me. I mean, look at Twilight. That represents all the traps, pitfalls, and cliches of urban fantasy. "A hot-mysterious-guy-with-a-big-secret-who-tries-to-be-all tough-but-has-a-soft side who falls hopelessly in love with our normal-but-slightly-special-gal-next-door? And his secret is of a slight supernatural tint and her slight specialness plays right into it? Oh em gee, they are sooo made for each other! Aren't they perfect? Squee, squee, shriek and squeal." I mean, who hasn't seen this trope before? They're just tarting it up with borrowed (or in this case, made from wholecloth) mythos. It's kinda like Neon Genesis Evangelion: a standard mecha with random Christian symbolism that tries to pass itself off as deep because there's something different being done here. Except not.

Anyway, the above rant was supposed to illustrate that urban fantasy makes me raise my eyebrow and turn my nose up some. But when it's done right it is some of the best literature I've laid hands and eyes on. Mike Carey is a really good example of this. He writes this really underappreciated book series about an exorcist named Felix Castor. Felix (or "Fix" as he's called by his friends) is this perpetual cynic who's just trying to eke out a decent existence admist all his screw-ups in an increasingly unstable world that is becoming overpopulated by the dead, whether it be their souls or their corpses. He's an exorcist by trade as it's what he knows how to do, and he kinda tries to do right in the world as long as it doesn't cost him too much. He's a genuinely good person who life beats up on constantly and a running gag is he's always physically damaged somehow in the books. (Read: getting the shit kicked out of him.) There is some really great world building (just like in the Ilona Andrews books) that really fleshes out the melding of modern era with fantasy ideas/tropes. It's fun and yet no one in the States reads it. It took two years to get book four here from Britain. It's not like people had to translate this stuff, so what the hell? Anyway, it's great literature like this that could really validate the genre and pull in more mainstream readers that gets passed over for tripe like Twilight. America? We need to talk. Now.

4 comments:

Genevieve p.s. I love you. said...

Totally adding these to my to-read list.

Also, I would like to recommend my favorite urban fantasy series: Kitty!

The first book is Kitty and the Midnight Hour, by Carrie Vaughn. They are often fluff, but the main thing that makes them awesome is that the lead girl kicks serious ass, and she never, ever, EVER thinks to herself "you know what I need? I need a man to save me and solve all the problems in my life."

No, she's like "How can I solve all the problems in my life? I know. I'll do TALK SHOW RADIO about the supernatural. And inadvertently piss a lot of people off. Oops."

She is a werewolf named Kitty who runs a talk show at midnight, and the whole thing is set in denver and I keep seeing the author at the grocery store and having little geek-gasms.

Jill said...

LMAO That is totally awesome! I think I tried a Carrie Vaughn book once...one of the bitten ones? I'll try again as I'm headed to the bookstore soon.

Kate Daniels is the same way. She actually actively avoids men in order to accomplish her goals, which sucks for her as there's a really powerful male who she keeps bumping up against. They fight constantly and she's always trying to make him go away so she can do useful things on her own. I'm not really explaining it/doing her any justice right now, but Kate's a seriously independent woman who was drilled to kick ass and take no prisoners since she was six. So yeah.

Definitely read the Felix Castor books. They are gold!

Also forgot to reccommend Bioware's Jade Empire to you. Great RPG that takes place in a fantasy China and uses martial arts as combat. Incredibly unique, fun, and an older game so should be cheap. Also seriously underrated.

P.S. Love you too!!

Alii Silverwing said...

The Bitten ones are by Kelly Armstrong (which is one of my favorite series, def. on par with Kate Daniels and Kitty.) The first one has a v. strange romantic arc which still puzzles me, but the world Armstrong subsequently builds is a lot of fun.

Also recommend the Alpha and Omega series and the Skinwalker series by Patrica Briggs.

Also read Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Plx. You will love.

I really enjoy the Kate Daniels series, but it some ways it pisses me off so much.

Jill said...

Ah, I'd picked up the Patricia Briggs one, I think. Something about a werewolf having a wolfsbane tattoo on her back and being a detective/investigator. I was trying to get the Carrie Vaughn one that Gen recomended and accidentally got the Briggs one. (I got confused in the book aisle.) It was good, but I never picked up the next book. Will check out Kelly Armstrong, and the Kitty one.

I read the first three books of the Dresden files (takes place in/around Chicago which appealed to me). While I love Jim Butcher's writing Harry Dresden seems to only work in a short story format for me. Harry is actually too capable for me sympathize with. I love the characters and the world building but Dresden himself kinda annoys me. I always tell myself I'm gonna give them another try, though.

It took me a while to get through the first book of the Kate Daniels stuff, and I had only picked it up because I'd read a novella by the author in a story collection and loved the character. I thought that some of the ideas were dumb (tech vs. magic pissed me off a lot at first, but then I forgave it, and I was all like: WTF!? again with paranoid shapeshifters and mercs!? How unoriginal!!) But Kate's character actually kept me going because she was massively sarcastic and in over her head. I hate when the main character is too capable--it gets boring. Also I like the idea that vampires can be controlled like RCVs and all the crazy creatures that inhabit the world. But that's just me, and I am not you. :)