Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet
As told by shoujo artists.

June 27, 2013

More Live Action Nonsense

Yeah, so for the past few weeks I've been on a J-Drama craze.  I regret nothing.  Except for my tendency to almost answer in Japanese to simple questions; the danger of trying to learn another language through television.

Really great series you might want to check out:
  • Hana Kimi.  It's one of those gender-bender types.  A girl disguises herself as a boy at an all-boys' school to help one student she met in America who she feels responsible for and who is her idol.  Ikeman (handsome males/hotties) drama starring Maki Horikata (who I adore as an actress), Shun Ogura and Ikke Toma.  One of the characters (Nakatsu) falls for the heroine (Mizuki) without realizing she's a girl, producing many of my favorite scenes, especially this one.  Has many of my favorite actors in it, including Yamamoto Yusuke (Tamki from Ouran Highschool Host Club).  Based off a manga of the same name.
  • Atashinchi no Danshi.  It's a comedy about a homeless girl who has a debt of 1 million yen given to her by her deadbeat father.  She enters into an arrangement where she marries a rich toymaker for one month to pay off the debt.  He passes away, leaving instructions in his will for her to care for his six sons or the debt rebounds.  Very sweet, funny drama, once again starring Horikata Maki.
  • ProDai.  The name to this series is actually longer (Proposal Daisuke), but I don't remember it off the top of my head.  It's about a man who's been in love with his friend from elementary school his whole life...and she just got married to someone else!  With the help of a fairy that lives in the church where the wedding is taking place he is able to time travel to photos from a slideshow his other friends prepared for the wedding to change his many regrets.  It's a wonderful comedy that's mostly slice of life with romance.  Really sweet.
  • Tokyo Dogs.  About a pair of Japanese detectives busting up an international gun ring and other things.  I had to stop watching due to my inability to take the gun violence seriously, but I did like what I saw story wise and will still recommend it.  Two of my favorite actors are the main characters.
  • Zettai Kareshi.  I already talked about this one, but I loved it a lot.  Though I was rooting for the human the whole time, not the robot.  Still, very moving and I did like Night very much.  ^.^  The physical comedy in this was really well done, too.  Based off a manga of the same name, though in the manga it is a high school comedy while here it is a grown-up comedy.
  • Kurosagi.  This is about a swindler who swindles other swindlers out of their money and gives it back to the victims.  He is acting out of vengeance for his own family that had been swindled with deadly results.  The female protagonist is a law student who wants justice for the wronged and at first is against what Kurosagi does, but then falls for him.  It's a drama, no comedy.  Based off a manga of the same name.
That's it for now.  Still watching that last one (yes, it stars Horikata Maki), and so far I really like it.  I also saw part of a movie that was Japanese yet has Anton Yelchin in it.  WTF?  Really cute so far, but the site I was watching it on would interrupt it every few minutes with ads, so looking for a new site.  Called Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.

No comments: