Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet
As told by shoujo artists.

June 17, 2008

Anime Trade

So, I work at a medical office and one of our patients is also a rabid anime fan. Every time he's in ('cause heaven forbid that there should be a female interested in these things, old or young) we trade "Have you seen x, y, or zed?" and then trade DVDs we think the other will like. This is kinda new, but I love it. He's just lent me Mermaid Forrest, a somewhat unknown Takahashi series that's not comedic in any way and is in fact rather creepy. I've heard of it, just not seen it. I also borrowed Boogie Pop Phantom, both the series and a live action version, so this'll be fun. I'll comment on them when I've watched.





I'll be lending him The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and probably Gankutsuo later on. The latter is an adaptation of Dumas' famous tale of revenge: The Count of Monte Cristo. What's great about the anime is that it's an experiment in visual artforms as well as telling a fantastic story full of great characters. The anime employs the use of textures that don't move. Let's see if I can find a good picture...
You can at least see the textures I'm talking about. Now, the character moves, but the patterns in their hair and clothes don't. It's disconcerting at first, but it becomes very lovely and really adds to the atmosphere of the story.

And yes, that girl wears a dress that makes her almost naked. So there's a smidge of fan-pandering.

^_^

Anyone else fed up with females doing voice acting for adult male characters? I have to listen to Rurouni Kenshin on the dub due to this. I know we're not supposed to take Kenshin seriously, but it makes the romantic tension with him and Kaoru unbearable. There is only one exception to this rule and that's Fullmetal Alchemist. I had to check Anime News Network to find out that Ed's seiyuu was a woman. She's scary-deep. But in a good way.

I figured out why I like create-a-character options so much. It's the grown-up way to play with dolls. Dolls that kill things. It's the epitome of awesome.

Enough babbling. I'll think of relevent stuff later.

No comments: