Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet
As told by shoujo artists.

November 04, 2008

It's Almost Like An Epidemic...

Recently I've encountered three female adults who are into anime because of their children. I was astounded. My personal trainer (it feels weird saying that, or typing in this case) has a daughter who's basically a younger (14 years-old), cuter version of me when it comes to manga/anime/Japanese culture. Which is awesome. I can give tips on good series that the both of them would enjoy that's also age-appropriate, and so far they like it. ^_^

Another was a patient who spotted my desktop background (currently Saya and Haji from Blood +) and recognized them. Her children are five and seven and are into Pokémon and Miyazaki's Kiki's Delivery Service. She became interested in the stories they were telling ("But I'm sick to death of Pokémon") and began to rent stuff, one accidentally being Blood +. I typed out a list of things I thought she'd like (with some recommendations for her kids as well) while she met with the doctor, and though the list wasn't long (I had trouble thinking of age-appropriate and shoujo titles in the twenty minutes I had) she was thrilled with it. I'll have to go through and find more titles that'd work.

The third was a woman in Subway who was reading a Wallflower manga. I saw it, shyly stepped over and recommended Ouran High School Host Club to her if she liked that one, and she was thrilled for the rec. "I'd heard about it! It's just my friend owned these and lent them to me. Thank you though--if it's funny like these are I'll have to check it out." I assured her that it was humorous (though in a different way) and she wrote it down with a happy look on her face.

It's like anime has begun to spread over the masses. Quite frankly it's about time.

No comments: