Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet
As told by shoujo artists.

July 21, 2010

Actually not dead...Really...

So, yeah. I kinda gave up on this blog 'cause I got busy at work and then I thought no one would miss me ranting on random stuff on the Internet, but then I was told I was wrong! (Also that's a huge run-on sentence I just typed.) Apparently someone actually missed my blog. Color me surprised.

So, lots of news I totally haven't updated on. Quick rundown on what's currently taking up my free time as of right now:
  • Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and the Fullmetal Alchemist manga. After swearing I was done after that godawful movie Conqueror of Shambala (honestly, Nazi!Hughes?) Tony managed to pique my interest in what I thought was an unnecessary remake by telling me it was actually following the manga this time and then proceeded to spoil the manga for me because I thought I was done with it. Anyways, it's totally awesome and Arakawa is a friggin' genius, and anyone who thought they were done with the Elric brothers should give it another chance. Also the dub is pretty sweet if you hate subs. There's more I can fangirl on this, but I'll have to do it later as I really need to get to bed soon.
  • Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour or just the whole Scott Pilgrim series in general. The last (sixth) book finally came out and the wait was totally worth it. This comic series is a genius blend of real life ennui, geekdom and video game obsession rolled into a truly hilarious ball of fun and craziness. Honestly, if you like parody, comics, hilarity, video games, love, music, etc. this is for you. Check it out. Also, bonus movie directed by Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) coming out in August that I'm really looking forward to.
  • Ouran High School Host Club is almost done in manga form! It's wrapping up pretty fast, so I think there's only one (at most two) chapters left. Those who love Haruhi and Tamaki will squeal like crazy.
  • Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins had hijacked my life. I'm replaying the former for the bizillionth time as I finally broke down and paid for DLC. I had to download Kasumi when I saw part of her loyalty mission on YouTube. Worth it. I love her. Also, for the record Bioware officially owns my soul. When I saw The Old Republic trailer I was hyperventilating until I remembered it's an MMORPG and I hate playing with others because they ruin my fantasy/happy place/escapism. MAKE KOTORIII DAMMIT!!
  • Inception was brilliant. If you haven't seen it, close down your browser window and head to your nearest theater to see it right now. It's so refreshing to see a competent, well-made movie with real actors and practical effects and solid writing. Also great directing.
  • Still haven't played new PoP. Also wishing they hadn't abandoned the Elika/Nolan North one. I loved that one, really wanted to see where they were taking that. Though the combat sucked, they could've fixed it easy. Why did Ubisoft listen to the twelve irritating fanboys of the last franchise and abondon the new one!? IT WAS GOING PLACES! There were characters I friggin' cared about! GAAAAAAAAAAAH . (Also dragged poor Tony to see that stupid movie. Words can't describe how much fail that movie had. But also shirtless Jake Gyllenhaal, so I can forgive some of it.)
  • Kick Ass was great. Loved every moment, even if it was different than the comics. Sometimes you need to stray from the source material because of the medium it's currently in.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'll sit down for real in the very near future to torture all two of you who read this thing with my incessant fangirl squeals about something previously mentioned or something I haven't had the chance to gush on yet. So...fear me?

Oh! True Blood! Totally awesome. Really the only thing I'm watching consistently on TV right now. They are totally making shit up, but I don't care because it is amazing. Mostly. Sick of Sam's deadbeat family and Jason's obsession with Crystal. To be fair, I hate Jason and Crystal in the books too.

7 comments:

Alii Silverwing said...

Yay! :D

Gen keeps pushing me to watch the next FMA. She was /glued/ to the screen for it last night.

Also - waugh! I've been reading Ouran and it's one of the few manga that makes me laugh out loud.

*points at you* If you do the MMO, I will join you for a least a little while.

Jill said...

Hee. :)

The next FMA is amazing. Not only some of Bones' best work but the story and characters are gripping. Honestly, Arakawa knows how to tell a great story.

Ouran is a great manga. It's one of the few that I laugh out loud and squeal out loud as well. I feel like such a dork reading it at times!

Seth said the same thing about the MMO. I kinda refuse to play it in the vain hope that abysmal sales will result into them trying to actually make KOTOR III instead...

Eli said...

Quinn (the girlfriend) and I have been watching True Blood as it comes out. It's strangely compelling since I think I'd have a lot of trouble telling someone why it's so awesome. They're masters of cliffhangers if nothing else.

Oddly enough we just decided to watch FMA:B. We were both ??? about it since it seemed so similar. We didn't know it would branch out into a whole new story for the second half of the series. We're gonna start this weekend.

I got her into Ouran soon after we met. She devoured the anime and manga. They're both just so cute.

It's sad that you're not that keen on MMORPGs. I'll probably be playing the crap out of it when it comes out and it would be nice to chat with you. My instincts tell me it'll be worth playing for a month or two at least.

Hmmm. We've been watching and playing mostly the same stuff these last few months, so I can't think of much to recommend you. Ohoh, have you heard of Princess Princess? It's a yaoi-but-not-really anime that's just adorable.

Have to go now. It's great that you're posing again. I'm really looking to the Scott Pilgrim movie and I'm interested to hear your take on it.

-Eli

Jill said...

Hey! I highly reccommend watching FMA B as much as possible. Just too great. Or reading the manga as well. Both are really good, but the anime really grabs a hold of you. The first anime series was completed before the end of the manga on purpose so that it would be different from the manga and therefore a new experience, but it ended up being horrible so they they're retconning all that.

Ouran is so great! I friggin' adore it so much.

I hate MMOs. It'd be nice to chat but all you'd hear from me is swearing and random babble. My higher brain functions when I'm gaming somehow doesn't extend to speech.

While I champion the idea of love wherever you find it I'm still no big fan of yaoi. Just not something I really love. Gender bending, sure. Same sex romances just don't interest me as much because I love the complexity that arises from differences in realtionships. But because you rec it, I will check it out. :)

I'm glad that you're interested in what I post. It's good to know someone is reading my crazy ranting. ;) You need a blog, too. Post your own thoughts! I'd love to read.

Eli said...

Princess is more about gender bending and cross dressing. It's a silly mix 'cause there are no homosexual relationships to speak of but the whole series is charged with homoerotic energy. I dunno, you'll have to see it yourself.

Genevieve said...

Omg FMA:B so amazing. *almost done with the series* *obsessed*

Will have to look into Scott Pilgrim.

Have been playing KOTOR for the first time (not counting the 10 hours or so I played of it years ago), and I just conquered it on light side. Yay we saved the galaxy. Now I'm wondering where I'm going to get a copy of the next one. Snap.

Jill said...

LMAO @ Gen. It FMA: B is amazing. I really didn't want to get suckered back into it but then I plummeted head over heels. So many characters to love! Ed and Al are constantly evolving and yet are still able to cling to the things they truly believe in. The new characters have me squealing (I adore Mei and Ling!) and the underlying romance and conspiracy just clinch this for me. I'm almost done watching the series.

You haven't read Scott Pilgrim!? You must! It's only six volumes, so it's an easy read. Also it's hilarious and quoteable in any situation. Seriously, it's a really fun read.

KOTOR is amazing. How'd you react to finding out you're Revan? Or did you already know? Or did someone (me?) spoil it already? Also those puzzles are irritating as all hell. The second game has none of those ridonculous puzzles, but also no ending, so...yeah. I actually have a copy. I can mail it? Or give it in person? KOTOR II is a broken game (it was rushed by LucasArts to be finished in a year) but still a beautiful story. It will always hold a really special place in my heart.

I started reading your story. It is *amazing*. I will e-mail you more flattery later.

@Eli

Okay, you convinced me. Unless CLAMP made it. Then I stay the hell away from it. I hate CLAMP, which is kind of ironic if you think about it...